Monday 9 August 2010

Artist Focus: Jamie Barrett-Futuretro

 "Art has always been my major interest and I have been drawing and painting from a very early age. I was later influenced by my grandfather, who was an accomplished cabinet maker, and I started making sculptures out of any material that was to hand. When he eventually gave me all his tools I was able to perfect my techniques, and have continued to do so ever since!

Most of my pieces are made from acrylic and wood. For the last few years I have been focussing my energy into creating a diverse range of innovative and interactive light sculptures. It is possible to interact with the light sculptures by changing their shapes, patterns and colours using various processes and technologies. My latest works also have the additional quality of being responsive to sound and music. Under my ‘Futuretro’ name, I have undertaken commissions in the UK, India and Japan.

More recently I have been experimenting with heat-forming acrylic; this technique has allowed me to create fluid, organic compositions that represent my perception of nature. I also wanted to create a complimentary contrast between the synthetic quality of the acrylic I’m using and the natural forms I am sculpting. This has lead to a new collection of light sculptures entitled “naturesynth”.

My art is inspired by nature and is about the flow and balance of energies. I like to express and share my energy through my creations by making unique, eye-catching objects for people to enjoy".

No comments:

Post a Comment

© 2011 New Ashgate Gallery

All images are property of New Ashgate Gallery unless otherwise stated.